2.11.2008

01.22.08

I’m standing in my editor’s office when our boss, Y, walks in. She is a tall cute and always well-dressed blonde. I looked her up and down, admired her riding boats and fitted mustard yellow pea coat, the color a little last season but one that made her golden hair sparkle all the same. “Cute coat,” I compliment her. “Nordstrom, Brass Plum Rubbish,” I could even guess the size and Anniversary Sale price but wouldn’t dare.
She smiles, “Yeah Nordies.” The secret’s out, we both add junior items to our very Savvy (and I don’t just mean the department in Nordstroms) wardrobe.
Then it hit me, for the thousandth time this month, “What the heck I am doing working for a car magazine!”
I don’t love cars, I mean I love driving them, sliding into soft leather, strapping-in and feeling power and speed rush to my fingertips, but I don’t love them. I don’t wake up in the middle of the night excited about the new release of the Nissan GT-R, (although I do dream about the Audi R8) I don’t come to work dying to discover the style difference between ‘front-end’ (adj.), ‘front end’ (n.) and ‘frontend’ (differential), the vain of my editorial existence.
No, the highlight of my day is getting dressed, picking out my shoes, and hoping that some day, I’ll have a reason to wear half the items hanging in my closet. “Please let that someday be soon!”
I get to work; everyone is wearing jeans and sweatshirts, vans loafers and zero to no makeup. I look absolutely out of place. I settle in, read and reread articles explaining the modifications of engine types of the Audi A4 and the BMW whatever. Each article I finish is like my own little personal victory. I’m done… but I’m never really done.
During my lunch break I vacillate over Vogue, Instyle, Time, and whatever other publication I can pick up in the drug store.
Then back to reality, four more hours of car models, treads, and paint colors. But what about this seasons colors? What about threads and not treads? What about fashion models?
Epiphany, rather than attending car shows I should be attending fashion shows.

No comments: